How to make a Chemex
- Add filter (three fold on side of spout).
- Wet filter with hot (206 degrees) water, then dump the water.
- Weigh out 30 ounces of water in silver Hario kettle.
- Grind 50g tin of whole beans.
- Add grinds, shake gently to level.
- Bloom…wet all grounds slowly by starting in middle and working way out, avoiding the edges. Approximately 1-2 ounces of water for about 30-45 seconds MAX.
- Pour water slowly, starting from the edges and working towards the center until all grounds are wet. Pour the rest of the water in the center, maintaining a low water level (less than halfway to the rim of chemex) until kettle is empty.
- Once the brew stream turns into a drip, pull the filter and throw away.
- Swirl coffee around in chemex a few times.
- Preheat mug with hot water and enjoy/put in insulated container to enjoy later!
How to make toddy (cold brew)
- Grind 2lbs of the oldest coffee you have.
- Put the ground toddy in double bagged strainers in 5gal cooler.
- Bloom (wet all grounds) with two kettles of hot (206 degrees) water.
- Fill to 10L line with cool tap water (pour water outside of the bag of coffee grounds).
- Fill to 12L line with ice.
- Pull bag to top and close lid (so the grinds won’t fall in).
- Dump toddy 24 hours after making it.
How to make drip
Step 1: PREP
-Open 3L Bunn lid and remove center piece. Press buttons on either side of the lid to open.
-Rinse out 3L Bunn to remove left over coffee, ensuring container is empty to avoid overflowing.
Step 2: SETUP
-Remove filter from coffee maker and throw away leftover filter.
-Add a new filter from bottom shelf below coffee station.
-Grind two metal tins of whole beans and pour into filter.
- To Grind: remove lid, add coffee beans, replace lid. Make sure setting is on coarse and 12 cups. Press grind. (Machine will automatically stop.)
-Grind one more tin of coffee and add to filter.
-Replace filter-holder to coffee machine and place 3L Bunn under filter.
Step 3: BREW
-Tap screen once to display brewing options.
-Hold option 1 until brew time starts.
Step 4: SHARE
-When brewing is completed, replace center, close lid and enjoy!
How to make Chemex
Step 1: PREP
- Heat water
- Rinse filter in Chemex (quite well) and discard water, replace filter
(positioning the three folds toward the spout)
- Weigh 67g coffee (Grab a tin can filled with beans off the container wall - it's pre-measured)
- Fill kettles and heat water
Step 2: SETUP
- Grind coffee
- Weigh 65g coffee into chemex
- Create divot in bed and tare scale
- Just before boiling, remove kettle and let water settle
Step 3: BLOOM
- Tare scale
- Saturate coffee with 120g of water
- Let bloom for ~30 seconds
Step 4: BREW
- Pouring slowly in a spiral from the center, add enough water to raise slurry about
halfway up the cone -after first pour, stir the slurry to ensure full saturation
- Continue adding water slowly in stages, submerging the crust as you go and
letting the slurry drop before adding water to bring it back to the same level.
- After crust has dissipated, pour into center of chemex
- Try to add all water by 3:00
- Once you’ve add 1100g water, give it a final stir and let drain (aiming for flat or
slightly domed bed).
How to make Cold Brew
Follow Crema's beautiful tutorial HERE